University staff profile
Dr Rodrigo Lucena De Mello
Sport and Service Management
- Consumer behaviour and psychology
- Family tourism
- LGBT tourism
- Service quality
- Revenue management
- Hospitality operations
Rodrigo Lucena is a lecturer in Marketing and Hospitality at the University of Brighton. He has an M.Sc. in International Hospitality Management from the Manchester Metropolitan University and is completing his PhD at Brighton. He combines a solid academic background with a wide expertise in hospitality management. He made a career in Rooms Division at the InterContinental Hotels Group and has deep knowledge of hotel strategies, marketing and operations, having participated in the opening of a 250-room Holiday Inn Hotel in Brazil.
Rodrigo's PhD thesis provides an in-depth examination of the travel motivations and destination choices of gay and lesbian parented families. His research demonstrates same-sex parented families are, with regard to their holiday motivations and choices, more similar than different from the 'traditional' heteronormative family studied in the past. It also reveals how gay and lesbian parents' somewhat paradoxical relationship with their sexualities informs their families' travel choices.
Forthcoming Publications and Peer Reviews
Lucena, R., Weeden, C. and Jarvis, N. (forthcoming). Gay and lesbian parented families: Travel motivations and destination choice. In Schänzel, H. (ed.). The future of family tourism: Trends, scenarios and critical issues. Bristol: Channel View Publications.
Peer reviewer for the Tourism Management. >em>Leisure Studies and the Tourism and Hospitality Research journals
Events and Conferences
- 2015 Lucena, R. Researching Gay and Lesbian Parented Families' Travel Choices: Methodological and Ethical Challenges. Paper presented at the Researching Sex and Sexualities Conference. University of Sussex, UK. 06 May.
- 2014 Lucena, R. The PhD student experience, presented at the Doctoral College Induction Event. University of Brighton, UK. 15 October.
- 2014 Participation in the committee organising the Eastbourne and Falmer Doctoral College Student Conference – University of Brighton, UK. 02 – 04 July.
- 2014 Lucena, R. Gay and lesbian parented families on holiday: Preliminary findings. Paper presented at the Eastbourne and Falmer Doctoral College Student Conference – University of Brighton, UK. 02 July.
- 2013 Lucena, R. Accessing gay and lesbian parented families. Paper presented at the Doctoral College MPhil/PhD and Professional Doctorate Student Conference – University of Brighton, UK. 05 July.
- 2012 Lucena, R. The journey from undergraduate to postgraduate student. Paper presented at the Hollings Employability Event - Manchester Metropolitan University, UK. 30 October.
- 2012 Lucena, R. Rainbow families: Travel motivations and destination choices. Paper presented at the Geographies of Leisure and Tourism Research Group PhD Colloquium – University of Surrey, UK. 6 September.
- 2012 Lucena, R. Rainbow families on holiday: Motivations, destination choices and need for safety. Paper presented at the Doctoral College MPhil/PhD and Professional Doctorate Student Conference – University of Brighton, UK. 20 July.
Lucena De Mello, Rodrigo (2016) Gay and lesbian parented families: travel motivations and destination choice Doctoral thesis, University of Brighton.
Lucena, Rodrigo, Jarvis, Nigel and Weeden, Clare (2015) A review of gay and lesbian parented families’ travel motivations and destination choices: gaps in research and future directions Annals of Leisure Research, 18 (2). pp. 272-289. ISSN 1174-5398