The SHRL have been awarded a £1.3m EPSRC research grant to study the deformation of microscopic fuel droplets.
Download this vCard Dr. Alexander Snegirev
Saint-Petersburg 195251, Russia
Visiting ResearcherProfessor Ceng MInstP
Department of Thermal Physics
Saint-Petersburg State Polytechnic University
Saint-Petersburg 195251, Russia
Tel:+7 (812) 2944276
- Computational fluid dynamics, turbulence, combustion and heat transfer for engineering applications.
- Turbulent diffusion combustion, jet and buoyant flame modelling.
- CFD fire modelling.
- Spray modelling for fire suppression.
Current Research Projects:
- A universal spray model for engineering applications. Grant 10-08-92602-KO_a, Russian Foundation for Basic Research, Royal Society, 2010-2011.
- Numerical simulations and experimental studies of discharge, spraying and spread of fire extinguishing agent. IRIAS (Russia), Airbus ESPAÑA (Spain), Cheminform Ltd. (Russia), VNIIPO (Russia). 2007–2010.
- Implementation of mathematical modelling and computer simulations to predict flame development and smoke movement in a design fire. Gefest Ltd, St.-Petersburg, 2010.
- Modelling and simulations of flame development and smoke movement in design fire to predict occupant evacuation. Federal research programme “Fire Safety in Russian Federation 2012”, Ministry of Science and Higher Education of Russian Federation. Topic 09.12, 2010.
- Microsoft High Performance Computing Technologies for Safety and Environment (FireEx-MicroTEST). Microsoft Research Corp. 2007–2009.
- LES Studies and Acoustic Processing of Turbulent Separated Flows around Vehicle Side Mirror Models. GM Corp. 2007–2008.
- CFD modeling and simulations of noise generation in turbulent separated flows. GM Corp. 2006–2007.
- Computational studies of fire suppression by fine water sprays. Research grant 401/09 by the Government of St.-Petersburg, 2009.
- Stochastic Modeling of Water Spray in Turbulent Diffusion Flame, Research grant 06-01-00403-?, Russian Foundation for Basic Research, 2006–2007.
- Critical and Transient Phenomena in Self-Sustained Buoyant Turbulent Diffusion Flames, Research grant GR/S69122/01 of Engineering and Physical Science Research Council, 2004-2007.
- Lagrangian Stochastic Flame Model, Research grant RSRG 24350, the Royal Society, 2003-2004.
- Theoretical Fundamentals of Fire and Explosion Safety — MEng Thermal Engineering, St. Petersburg State Polytechnic University.
- Combustion Theory — MSc Fluid Mechanics, St. Petersburg State Polytechnic University.
- Computational Fluid Dynamics and Heat Transfer —Schlumberger-Polytechnic, St. Petersburg State Polytechnic University.
- Ekotop Ltd., St.-Petersburg, Russia (2006-2010).
- Specialized fire protection enterprise GEFEST Ltd., St.-Petersburg, Russia (2009-2010).
- SAFE Fire and Risk Engineering, London, UK (2009-2010).
- The 2008 Hartnett-Irvine Award by the International Centre for Heat and Mass Transfer Honors and Awards Committee for the paper Modeling and Simulations of Fine Water Spray in Buoyant Turbulent Diffusion Flame.
- Best paper award Modeling turbulent diffusion combustion in swirling flames of industrial burners, 3rd International conference Heat and Mass Transfer and Fluid Dynamics of Swirling Flows, Moscow, Russia, October 2008.
- Best paper award Numerical simulations of fine water spray in buoyant turbulent diffusion flame, XVI Seminar Fluid Dynamics, Heat and Mass Transfer in Power Equipment, St.-Petersburg, Russia, May 2007.
- Best paper award Modeling and simulations of electrochemical and thermal performance of high capacity lithium-ion batteries. 4th Russian Conference on Heat and Mass Transfer, Moscow, Russia, October 2006.
- Best paper award (sponsored by FM Global, USA) Experimental and Numerical Studies of Whirling Flames, 4th International Seminar “Fire and Explosion Hazards”, Ulster, United Kingdom, 2003.
Membership in Professional Bodies:
- Chartered Engineer, registered by the Engineering Council (United Kingdom), Reg. No 551162.
- Member of the Institute of Physics, Membership No 1094092.
- Member of the Combustion Institute (British Section).
- Snegirev A.Yu., Frolov A.S. Large-Eddy Simulation of the turbulent diffusion flame.High Temperature, 2010 (In press).
- Snegirev A.Yu., Lipjainen A.L. Modelling and Simulations of Flame Mitigation by Fine Water Spray.In: S. Frolov (Ed.) Hazards, Prevention and Mitigation of Industrial Explosions. Moscow, Torus Press, 2010, P. 31–54 (In press).
- Snegirev A., Lipjainen A., Talalov V. The Effect of Spray Refinement on Flame Extinguishment.Proceedings of the 6th Int. Seminar on Fire and Explosion Hazards, (11–16 April 2010, Leeds, UK), 2010, P. 1–12 (In press).
- Snegirev A., Lipjainen A., Bondarenko D., Lehugeur B. Transient Spray Development in Discharge of Fire Extinguishing Agent.Proceedings of the 6th Int. Seminar on Fire and Explosion Hazards, (11–16 April 2010, Leeds, UK), 2010, P. 1–12 (In press).
- Snegirev A., Lipjainen A., Talalov V. Flame suppression by water sprays: flame-spray interaction regimes and governing criteria.Proceedings of 12th Fire Science and Engineering Conference Interflam2010, Edinburgh, 5-7 July 2010, P. 1–11 (In press).
- Snegirev A.Yu. Computer-intensive simulations in technical physics. Modeling and simulations of turbulent flows.St.-Petersburg, SPbSPU Publ., 2009, 143 P. (ISBN 978-5-7422-2317-7).
- Snegirev A.Yu.,Talalov V.A. Theoretical Fundamentals of Fire and Explosion Safety. Non-premixed combustion.St.-Petersburg, SPbSPU Publ., 2008, 212 P. (ISBN 5-7422-1734-X).
- Snegirev A.Yu.,Talalov V.A. Theoretical Fundamentals of Fire and Explosion Safety. Premixed combustion.St.-Petersburg, SPbSPU Publ., 2007, 215 P. (ISBN 5-7422-1408-1).
- Snegirev A.Yu., Lipjainen A.L. Modeling and Simulations of Fine Water Spray in Buoyant Turbulent Diffusion Flame.Heat Transfer Research, 2008, Vol. 39, No 2, P. 133–149.
- Snegirev A., Isaev S. Turbulent Combustion and Thermal Radiation in a Massive Fire.N. Syred and A. Khalatov (eds.) Advanced Combustion and Aerothermal Technologies, p. 197 – 209, Springer, 2007.
- Snegirev A.Yu. Statistical Modelling of Thermal Radiation Transfer in Buoyant Turbulent Diffusion Flames.Combustion and Flame, 136 (1-2): 51-71, 2004.
- Snegirev A.Yu., Marsden J.A., Francis J., and Makhviladze G.M. Numerical studies and experimental observations of whirling flames.International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 47 (12-13): 2523-2539, 2004.
- Snegirev A.Yu., Makhviladze G.M., Roberts J.P. The effect of particle coagulation and fractal structure on the optical properties and detection of smoke.Fire Safety Journal, 36(1): 73-95, 2001.
- Snegirev A.Yu., Makhviladze G.M., Roberts J.P. Smoke coagulation in compartment fire modelling.Combustion Science and Technology, 159: 315-349, 2000.