The SHRL have been awarded a £1.3m EPSRC research grant to study the deformation of microscopic fuel droplets.
Brighton BN2 4GJ, United Kingdom
Lars joined the Centre for Automotive Engineering (CAE) in 2009 as a PhD student. His main research interest lies in the development and application of a high speed laser based measurement technique to acquire the gas phase temperature using thermographic phosphors.
Lars studied mechanical engineering at the University of Karlsruhe (Germany), where he received his MSc degree (Diplom Ingenieur) in 2009. During his bachelor thesis (Studienarbeit) he worked on the application of high-speed ion current measurement to hand held power tools for combustion diagnostics. His master’s thesis (Diplomarbeit) was concerned with the 1D and 3D simulation of a spray guided gasoline direct injection engine.
Lars now works in the Fluid Dynamics and Simulation department at Ricardo UK Ltd. His main responsibilities are the one-dimensional and three dimensional analysis on Ricardo’s spray-guided gasoline direct injection research project and the development of advanced injection and combustion strategies in spray-guided gasoline direct injection combustion systems.
In parallel, Lars is a PhD student at the University of Brighton. His research topic is the development and application of advanced combustion strategies for ultra-low fuel consumption in gasoline direct injection combustion systems. This includes thermodynamic engine research as well as the development and application of high-speed LASER diagnostic tools to an optical variant of the SGDI engine. Of particular interest in the optical engine study are the simultaneous measurement of gas phase temperature and gas flow velocity and the air-to-fuel ratio distribution during stratified operation.
- I. Evans, P.J. Bowen, P.J. Kay, J. King, G. Knight, L. Schmidt: Characterisation of a Bio-Ethanol Direct Injection Spray Under Sub-Zero Conditions,23rd Annual Conference on Liquid Atomisation and Spray Systems, ILASS – Europe, 2010M
- L.U. Schmidt, J. Stokes, J. Seabrook, J. King, F. Zhudi, S.M. Begg: Multiple Injection Strategies for Improved Combustion Stability under Stratified Part Load Conditions in a Spray Guided Gasoline Direct Injection (SGDI) Engine,SAE World Congress, SAE 2011-01-1228, 2011; Manuscript Accepted
- L.U. Schmidt, J. King, J. Stokes, J. Mullineux, K. Ramasamy, N. Amirudin, S.M. Begg, I. Evans, P. Kay: Validation of a CFD Model of a Hollow-Cone Spray with Multiple Fuel Injection and Gasoline Fuel Blends,SAE World Congress, SAE 2011-01-0379, 2011; Manuscript Accepted
- J. Seabrook, J. King, L.U. Schmidt, J. Stokes: Application of DoE in Spray Guided DI Gasoline Engines, 6th Conference on Design of Experiments (DoE) in Engine Development,2011; Abstract Accepted
Contribution to other conferences
- L.U. Schmidt, J. Stokes, J. Seabrook, J. King, S.M. Begg, M.R. Heikal: Multiple Injection Strategies for Improved Combustion Stability under Stratified Part Load Conditions in a Spray Guided Gasoline Direct Injection (SGDI) Engine,The Universities Internal Combustion Engines Group (UnICEG), December 2010
- L.U. Schmidt, J. King: Development of the Next Generation of Spark Ignited Spray Guided Direct Injection Combustion System,Birmingham AD Centre Combustion Research Seminar, IMechE Seminar, 2011
List of Publications from the University of Brighton Repository:
Schmidt, Lars, Seabrook, Justin, Stokes, John, Ahmad-Zuhdi, M.F., Begg, Steven, Heikal, Morgan and King, Jason (2011) Multiple injection strategies for improved combustion stability under stratified part load conditions in a Spray Guided Gasoline Direct Injection (SGDI) engine In: SAE 2011 World Congress & Exhibition , April 2011, Detroit, MI, USA.
Schmidt, Lars, King, Jason, Stokes, John, Mullineux, James, Ramasamy, Calvin, Nazri Amiruddin, Ahmad, Evans, Ifan, Kay, Peter, Heikal, Morgan and Begg, Steven (2011) Validation of a CFD model of a hollow-cone spray with gasoline fuel blends In: SAE 2011 World Congress & Exhibition, April 2011, Detroit, MI, USA.