The SHRL have been awarded a £1.3m EPSRC research grant to study the deformation of microscopic fuel droplets.
Download this vCard Prof. Mike Monaghan
Cockcroft Building, Lewes Road
Brighton BN2 4GJ, United Kingdom
Visiting ProfessorMain affiliation: Diesel research division
School of Computing, Engineering and Mathematics
University of Brighton
Brighton BN2 4GJ, United Kingdom
Fax:+44 1273 642330Email: M.Monaghan@brighton.ac.uk
Peer Reviewed Journal Articles
- Temperature and Heat Flow Measurements in a Turbocharged 'P' Type Doxford EngineC C J French, E R Hartles, M L Monaghan - BSRA Report NS 52, 1964
- Thermal Stresses in the Doxford PistonsM L Monaghan - BSRA Report NS 53, 1964
- The Evaluation of Thermal Strains in Marine Diesel Engine ComponentsM L Monaghan - BSRA Report NS 223, 1968.
(Note BSRA reports were subsequently made part of the Trans. NE Coast Inst. of Shipbuiding Engineers)
Refereed Conference Publications
- Thermal Loading of Highly Rated, Two Cycle, Marine Diesel EnginesC C J French, E R Hartles, M L Monaghan - CIMAC 1965
- Application of Small Scientific Computers to Calculations for Prototype EnginesM L Monaghan - I.Mech.E. Computers in Internal Combustion Engine Design, 1968
- A Quantitative Rubber Model Analysis TechniqueM L Monaghan - I.Mech.E. Experimental Stress Analysis, 1970.
- A Light Duty Diesel for America?M L Monaghan and J J McFadden - SAE 750330.
- Stratified Charge EnginesR A Haslett, M L Monaghan and J J McFadden - SAE 760755
- Boosting for a PurposeM L Monaghan - I.Mech.E. Turbocharging and Turbochargers, 1978.
- Two Ways to Boost a Light Duty DieselM L Monaghan - SAE 790038.
- The Potential of the High Speed Direct Injection DieselM L Monaghan - International Energy Agency, Berlin, 1981.
- Air Motion and Its Effect on Diesel Performance and EmissionsM L Monaghan and H F Pettifer - SAE 810255.
- The High Speed Direct Injection Diesel for Passenger CarsM L Monaghan - SAE 810477.
- The Best High Speed Direct Injection Diesel Systems for Light Duty ApplicationsM L Monaghan - I.Mech.E. C105/82, 1982.
- A Wall Wetting Direct Injection Diesel for Passenger CarsM L Monaghan - FISITA 845040, Vienna, 1984.
- The Use of an Electronically Controlled Unit Injector to Improve the Direct Injection DieselM L Monaghan - SIA, Lyons, 1987.
- Truck Engine Development to the Year 2000M L Monaghan - CIMAC, Warsaw, June 1987.
- Emissions Regulations - The Relation between Stationary and Automotive EnginesM L Monaghan - CIMAC Session, FISITA, Dearborn, Michigan, USA, 1988.
- Putting Friction in its PlaceM L Monaghan - I Mech E Conf. - Reduction of Friction and Wear - C375/KN1, September 1989.
- The Diesel Passenger Car in a Green WorldM L Monaghan - SIA, Lyon, June 1990.
- The Design and Development of the High Speed Direct Injection DieselM L Monaghan - Korea SAE Seminar, Seoul, Korea, May 9 1995.
- The High Speed Direct Injection Diesel - Present and Future PerspectivesM L Monaghan - IMechE, Lean Burn Conference, London, 1997.
- Environmental Legislation and Engine DesignM L Monaghan - IPC Conference, Melbourne 1999.
- Warm-Up Strategies For a Methanol Reformer Fuel Cell VehicleM.L. Monaghan, M. Sadler, R.P.G. Heath, R.H. Thring - FISITA 2000, Seoul, 2000.
- System Integration for Fuel Cell VehiclesM L Monaghan, M Sadler, A J Stapleton, D G Greenwood, R H Thring - First Ricardo International Conference, Brighton, 2000.
- A Single Regime Electric Power Split Transmission for CarsM L Monaghan, F Moeller, S Randle - VDI Conf. On Innovative Drive Trains, Dresden 2001.
- Introductory Chapter - Internal Combustion EnginesM L Monaghan
Editor - C Arcoumanis, Academic Press, 1988.
- Engine Friction - A Change in EmphasisM L Monaghan - The BP Tribology Lecture, I.Mech.E. Autotech Conference, December 1987.
- Konstruirovanie i razrabotka semeistva avtomobilnyh dvigatelei (The design and development of an automotive engine family)M L Monaghan - British-Soviet Week, Moscow April 1989.
- Road Vehicles and Emissions Regulations - A Global ViewM L Monaghan - Keynote Address I Mech E Conference - Worldwide Engine Emissions Standards and how to meet them" February 1991.
- The Contribution of DesignM L Monaghan - How Green is Your Transport - Freight Transport Association Conference, London, 1992.
- A Premium Truck Engine for the Next CenturyM L Monaghan - Ishikawa Gasket Symposium, Tokyo, 1996.
- Particulates and the Diesel - The Scale of the ProblemM L Monaghan - IMechE, Seminar - Diesel Engines Particulate Control Keynote Speech, London 1998.
- How long will the Light Duty Diesel be with us?M L Monaghan - IMechE Automotive Division Prestige Lecture, London, 1999.
- Future Gasoline and Diesel EnginesM L Monaghan - FISITA 2000, Seoul, 2000.
- Fuel Cells for Automobiles - The Hydrogen RevolutionM L Monaghan - IMechE AD Chairman's Address, London, 2000.
- Messages from Other WorldsM L Monaghan - IMechE Invitation Lecture, Coventry, 2001.
- Zero Stiffness Strain GaugeJ G G Hempson and M L Monaghan - UK Patent 1276718 - December 1969.
- Controlled Outwardly Opening Fuel Injection NozzleM L Monaghan and A Neitz - UK Patent 2138 884, April 1983.
- Transient Response of Turbocharged Diesel EnginesM L Monaghan - US Patent 4709676, Dec 1987.
- Mentor RAE Engineering Fellowship Sheffield University 2000-2005.Mentor EPSRC Collaborative Grant for Combustion Concepts for Premium Sustainable Vehicles 2002-2006
- Mentor RAE Engineering Fellowship University of Leeds 2008-2013