Dr James Cole
Environment and Technology
Telephone: +44 (0)1273 644132
- Human Origins / Evolution
- Survey techniques and Archaeological Practice
- Origins of complex hominin behaviour including language and symbolism.
- Pleistocene environmental change in southern and eastern Africa
- Lithics analysis – including looking at 3D reconstructions of material culture.
- Modelling and reconstructing past Palaeo-landscapes.
- 2013 – Present Lecturer University of Brighton.
- 2013 – Present Part-time Lecturer Bournemouth University
- 2013 – Present Guest Lecturer Royal Holloway, University of London
- 2012 – 2013 Lecturer, Institute of Archaeology, University of Oxford
- 2011 – 2012 Part-time Lecturer at Bournemouth University and the University of Southampton
- 2007 – 2011 Ph.D. Archaeology, University of Southampton funded by the British Academy Centenary Research Project “Lucy to Language: the archaeology of the social brain”
- 2007 Geophysics Surveyor, Archaeology South East, University College London.
- 2004 – 2007 M.A. Human Origins, University of Southampton
- 2001 – 2004 B.A. (Hons) Archaeology, University of Southampton.
McNabb, John and Cole, James (2015) The mirror cracked: Symmetry and refinement in the Acheulean handaxe Journal of Archaeological Science: Reports, 3. pp. 100-111. ISSN 2352-409X
Cole, James (2015) Hominin language development: a new method of archaeological assessment Biosemiotics, 8 (1). pp. 67-90. ISSN 1875-1342
Cole, James (2015) Handaxe symmetry in the Lower and Middle Palaeolithic: implications for the Acheulean gaze In: Coward, F., Hosfield, R., Pope, M. and Wenban-Smith, F.F., eds. Settlement, Society and Cognition in Human Evolution: Landscapes in Mind. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, pp. 234-257. ISBN 9781107026889
Cole, James (2014) The Identity Model: a theory to access visual display and hominin cognition within the Palaeolithic In: Dunbar, R.I.M., Gamble, C. and Gowlett , J.A.J., eds. Lucy to Language: Benchmark Papers. Oxford University Press, Oxford, pp. 90-107. ISBN 9780199652594
Galanidou, Nena, Cole, James, Iliopoulos, Giorgos and McNabb, John (2013) East meets West: The Middle Pleistocene site of Rodafnidia on Lesvos, Greece Antiquity, 87 (336). ISSN 0003-598X
Cole, James (2012) The Identity Model: a theory to access visual display and hominin cogntition within the Palaeolithic Human Origins, 1. pp. 24-40. ISSN 2041-403X
Cole, James and Ruebens, Karen (2012) Papers from the British Academy Lucy to Language: the Archaeology of the Social Brain Seminar Series on Visual Display in the Palaeolithic [Edited Collections]
McNabb, John, Hosfield, Robert, Dearling, Kevin, Barker, Dominic, Strutt, Kristian, Cole, James, Bates, Martin and Toms, Phillip (2012) Recent work at the Lower Palaeolithic site of Corfe Mullen, Dorset, England Proceedings of The Prehistoric Society, 78. pp. 35-50. ISSN 0079-497X