Dr James Cole
Environment and Technology
Telephone: +44 (0)1273 641831
- Human Origins / Evolution
- Survey techniques and Archaeological Practice
- Origins of complex hominin behaviour including language and symbolism.
- Pleistocene environmental change in southern and eastern Africa
- Lithics analysis – including looking at 3D reconstructions of material culture.
- Modelling and reconstructing past Palaeo-landscapes.
- 2013 – Present Lecturer University of Brighton.
- 2013 – Present Part-time Lecturer Bournemouth University
- 2013 – Present Guest Lecturer Royal Holloway, University of London
- 2012 – 2013 Lecturer, Institute of Archaeology, University of Oxford
- 2011 – 2012 Part-time Lecturer at Bournemouth University and the University of Southampton
- 2007 – 2011 Ph.D. Archaeology, University of Southampton funded by the British Academy Centenary Research Project “Lucy to Language: the archaeology of the social brain”
- 2007 Geophysics Surveyor, Archaeology South East, University College London.
- 2004 – 2007 M.A. Human Origins, University of Southampton
- 2001 – 2004 B.A. (Hons) Archaeology, University of Southampton.
Cole, James (2015) Examining the Presence of Symmetry within Acheulean Handaxes: A Case Study in the British Palaeolithic Cambridge Archaeological Journal. ISSN 0959-7743
McNabb, John and Cole, James (2015) The mirror cracked: Symmetry and refinement in the Acheulean handaxe Journal of Archaeological Science: Reports, 3. pp. 100-111. ISSN 2352-409X
Cole, James (2015) Hominin language development: a new method of archaeological assessment Biosemiotics, 8 (1). pp. 67-90. ISSN 1875-1342
Cole, James (2015) Handaxe symmetry in the Lower and Middle Palaeolithic: implications for the Acheulean gaze In: Coward, F., Hosfield, R., Pope, M. and Wenban-Smith, F.F., eds. Settlement, Society and Cognition in Human Evolution: Landscapes in Mind. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, pp. 234-257. ISBN 9781107026889
Cole, James (2014) The Identity Model: a theory to access visual display and hominin cognition within the Palaeolithic In: Dunbar, R.I.M., Gamble, C. and Gowlett , J.A.J., eds. Lucy to Language: Benchmark Papers. Oxford University Press, Oxford, pp. 90-107. ISBN 9780199652594
Galanidou, Nena, Cole, James, Iliopoulos, Giorgos and McNabb, John (2013) East meets West: The Middle Pleistocene site of Rodafnidia on Lesvos, Greece Antiquity, 87 (336). ISSN 0003-598X
Cole, James (2012) The Identity Model: a theory to access visual display and hominin cogntition within the Palaeolithic Human Origins, 1. pp. 24-40. ISSN 2041-403X
Cole, James and Ruebens, Karen (2012) Papers from the British Academy Lucy to Language: the Archaeology of the Social Brain Seminar Series on Visual Display in the Palaeolithic [Edited Collections]
Pope, Matthew, Bates, Martin, Cole, James, Conneller, Chantal, Ruebens, Karen, Scott, Beccy, Shaw, Andrew, Smith, Geoff, Underhill, David and Wragg-Sykes, Rebecca (2012) Quaternary Environments and Archaeology of Jersey: A New Multidisciplinary project looking at the early prehistoric occupation of the English Channel Region In: Unravelling the Palaeolithic Ten years of research at the Centre for the Archaeology of Human Origins (CAHO, University of Southampton), University of Southampton, 28-29 Jan 2011.
McNabb, John, Hosfield, Robert, Dearling, Kevin, Barker, Dominic, Strutt, Kristian, Cole, James, Bates, Martin and Toms, Phillip (2012) Recent work at the Lower Palaeolithic site of Corfe Mullen, Dorset, England Proceedings of The Prehistoric Society, 78. pp. 35-50. ISSN 0079-497X