The recent placements fair held at the university on 18 October 2007 was a great success. Over 500 students seeking year long placements visited the fair to meet companies recruiting for roles in IT and Business.
The event, with some large players from industry such as IBM, Microsoft, VW and BAA was targeted at Computing and Business students. Many stands were operated by students currently on placement.
Companies found the event very worthwhile and were impressed with the caliber of students they met. They were able to:
- Make direct contact with this year’s placement ‘workforce’
- Raise the profile of the organisation amongst the student population
- Discover the range of professional services available from the university
For students, the fair demonstrated the vast range of professional training opportunities available to them and has motivated many to choose the placement option. It enabled them to:
- Meet directly with a variety of potential employers, network and make contacts
- Assess a range of organisations from different industry sectors and decide on which type of placement would best suit their needs
- Talk directly with students’ currently on work placement and hear first hand what it’s like to have a ‘proper’ job.
Now in its third year, the event continues to grow in size and popularity, and the plans for the 2008 placements fair will encompass many more schools within the university.